Tuesday 23 April 2013

New Sneak Peek at Diary of a Dead Girl




Then

The computer beeped, Danny set up straighter and opened the email. The fluorescent light lit up his face, the lack of sleep had left his features drawn and his eyes bloodshot. He scanned the email, his eyes going wide and his mouth hung open. He wiped at his face unbelieving what he was reading, he clicked on the attachment and sat unmoving as he watched the video play out on the screen.

Four uniformed clad men sat around a large metal table, the video was grainy and slightly obscured by someone’s clothing. It was obvious the filming had taken place secretly but there was no mistaking the fifth figure. It was not human.

The huge lizard like body, the claws extended on its hand sat a foot taller than the men, its large head was round with an elongated nose, and its large eyes watched as the others appeared to be in a heated debate.  The video lasted no longer, than two minutes, Danny watched it over and over again until he fell asleep in the front of his computer.

He awoke groggily, his neck stiff. He made some coffee before sitting back in front of the monitor and read the information that came along with the video. If what he had seen were true, the world as he knew it was about to come toppling down and millions of lives would be lost. He quickly typed out a message to his friend Steven and included the video. He sat back, his stomach a flurry of butterflies. He needed to see Elise and tell her what he had found.

It was an hour later when he rang Elise.

“Hey babe.”

“Hey-you okay?”

“Yeah yeah. Listen I have something to show you. You’re home right?”

“Of course I am. Do you want to go out for tea or stay in and eat?”

“We’ll stay in.”

“Are you sure you’re okay, you sound weird.”

“I promise I’m fine.” He replied trying to reign in the excitement and terror both simultaneously.

“Okay I’ll see you soon.”

“See you soon.” He ended the call and kicked the bike into life. He knew if anyone was going to believe him it would be Elise. He smiled thinking about her, she had been such a huge part of his childhood that he had never considered a relationship with her. They had grown up together and as they hit their teens, they had drifted apart. A chance encounter at a coffee shop had them sitting side by side laughing at their shared childhood memories. Fast forward two months and they were now closer than ever, having stepped beyond a childhood friendship into the beginnings of a relationship.

He put his helmet on, not seeing the black four by four parked nearby; he pushed the bike forwards and roared off. Driving the bike made him feel as if he was flying, the outskirts of his town quickly zipped passed as he drove on.

The black Lexus followed Danny, driven by Sergeant O’Hannesy on the orders of his Warrant Officer. Sergeant O’Hannesy had picked up Private Collins, the young soldier had proved outstanding in his entry exam and the Sergeant had plans for him.

“Private Collins, this is a training simulation. One that you’ve been handpicked for.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Our orders are to follow the civilian Danny Stevens but not to engage him. Do you understand?”

“Yes Sir.”

The young Private was excited, he had not been in the army long and here he was with his superior on an impromptu mission.

The followed the man on his bike as he weaved his way in and out of traffic, keeping one car in front so as not to draw too much attention to themselves.

The traffic lights up ahead began to turn red when the car in front started to slow, they watched as Danny hit the accelerator and dash through the lights.

“Shit!” bellowed the Sergeant, instead of waiting for the cars to slow he picked up speed and swerved around the car in front, other cars stepped on their brakes causing a few vehicles to run into the back of one another. The crunch of metal against metal was deafening. Danny slowed his bike down and peered behind him.

He watched as the black four by four picked up speed and swerve around the other cars gaining on him. His heart jumped into his mouth as he realised they were following him. He knew it the information he had been given had landed him with a target at his back, his only option was to try to flee. He pushed down harder, almost willing the bike to take off as he tried to shake his pursuers. In his effort to get away, he misjudge an exit, his front wheel clipped the tailgate of a car sending him flying off his bike.

The Sergeant and Private watched in stunned silence as the man flew through the air landing in the oncoming traffic. Those that saw what happened tried to hit the brakes of their vehicles but it was too late, a barrage of cars ran over Daniel leaving him dead.

The Private tried to open the door, his stomach began to heave as he realised he and his SO had inadvertently killed the man they were supposed to follow. His Sergeant grabbed his arm before he had chance to exit the car.

“Private, this stays between us. Do you understand? If you say one wrong word they will gives us either a dishonourable discharge or worse, prison.”

Private Collins stared at him; he saw his own fear reflected back. He nodded, not able to speak as he stumbled out onto the road and heaved up his breakfast. The sight of the man thrown from his bike and crushed to death by the other cars would be something that would haunt him for the rest of his days. He began to wonder if he really could stomach serving in the army.

4 comments:

  1. Noooooo not present tense :( I can't stand present tense :( Like I hate it with a fiery passion of a thousand moons. Mostly because it takes me FOREVER to read because I just can't get in a groove. There's something about it that no matter how many times I try, I just can't get into present tense books. It's my one huge complaint with The Hunger Games trilogy. But that's just my personal opinion so don't worry about it. It's not like i'm the only person in the world to read :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... Maybe I'm wrong. Blah. Too early in the morning. I thought it was present tense in the first couple paragraphs but then I read more and it doesn't look like it. I think it's the lack of sleep. I'll read it more when I get home from work. Maybe then I will be able to see straight.

      Delete
    2. You make me giggle. Although you might not like the next chapters as they are in the present tense. *Runs and hides*

      Delete
    3. Blah. Yeah. Chances are good I won't be able to read it. Sorry to say. I WAS wrong about this one. It's not present tense. I just didn't get much sleep last night and so I read through the first paragraphs and over reacted since some of it at first glance read present tense.

      There were a few typos I saw. I can't point them out now since I'm sneaking in from work to respond but if you want I can go through again quickly when I get home and point a couple out. Assuming I see them again rofl.

      I wish I knew what it was about present tense I can't stand. Other than I find it tedious as hell to read. It's like some people who loathe first person, I loathe present tense books. But that's okay. Doesn't make it any less marketable to the masses. Just means I won't be any help outside of a cover rofl.

      Delete